Help us protect Louisiana's children. Report Child Abuse & Neglect: 1-855-4LA-KIDS (1-855-452-5437) toll-free, 24 hours a day, seven days a week

Child Support Enforcement Services Provided


To provide services, CSE locates parents using data.  The data comes from various sources and creates the Louisiana State Parent Locator Service.  To have this authority, the program must meet federal laws for due process and security.  Once these rules are met, the program will access data from the following:

  • Federal Parent Locator Service (FPLS): The FPLS has access to federal data from the:
    • Federal Case Registry (FCR)
    • National Directory of New Hires (NDNH)
    • Internal Revenue Service, the Department of Defense, the National Personnel Records Center including quarterly wage data for federal employees, the Social Security Administration, and the Department of Veterans Affairs
    • State Directories of New Hires
    • State Workforce Agencies
  • Electronic Parent Locate Network (EPLN): This is a group of 18 states that combine data into one database.
  • State and local government:
    • vital records
    • state tax files
    • real and titled personal property records
    • occupational and professional licenses and business information
    • Louisiana public assistance agencies, including FITAP, KCSP, Medicaid, and SNAP
    • Louisiana Workforce Commission
    • Louisiana Department of Public Safety and Corrections
  • Records from private companies like public utilities and cable television companies
  • Credit reports and other information held by financial institutions
  • State Directory of New Hires (SDNH): This is a database where employers must report new employees

Locate-Only Services:

Custodial parents can apply for Locate-Only services to individually seek paternity or support.  To apply, there is a $10 fee with the non-custodial parent’s Social Security number (SSN) or a $14 fee without the SSN.  Once the parent applies and pays the fee, CSE will attempt to locate the parent.  In most situations, the program can only release the last known address and place of employment.  


Under Louisiana law, the father of a child born outside of marriage is not responsible for child support until they are found to be the father. This can be done in two ways:

  • Acknowledgment of Paternity (AOP):
    The father can sign an affidavit swearing that he is the father of the child. In Louisiana, hospitals provide parents of children born outside of marriage a chance to sign an AOP at the time of birth.
  • Court Proceedings:
    If an alleged father refuses to sign an AOP, Child Support Enforcement attorneys or contract District Attorneys may file suit asking the court to determine paternity.

To find out about paternity in Louisiana, please visit the Louisiana Paternity Establishment Program.


Genetic Testing

Genetic testing is available through CSE at no cost when paternity has not been established.  CSE can offer free testing as long as the father works with the agency. However, if the father receives test results and does not agree to sign the AOP or fails to agree to paternity, the department will file a paternity suit. If the department has to file a paternity suit, then the Department will seek repayment of the costs of genetic testing whenever the test shows that the parent is the father.   Louisiana Child Support contracts with two genetic testing labs and paternity tests cost around $62.00 per person. In Louisiana, the probability of paternity must be 99.9% or higher.


A child support order includes the support amount and tells how support should be paid.  The Louisiana Legislature created the Child Support Award Guidelines to calculate support.  These guidelines set rules for how much parents should contribute to their child’s financial support.  This amount is based on the income of both parties.  For information on calculating support, visit our Calculate Support page.

The non-custodial parent will be court-ordered to pay an amount based on his/her percentage of the total income and the specific needs and expenses of the child. In cases of joint custody, the court must consider the amount of time the child spends with each parent as a basis for adjustment to the amount of child support to be paid during that time.  Courts may also require the non-custodial parent to provide health insurance for the child.  If the child is covered by Medicaid, the court must order a cash medical support amount.

Child support orders must contain an income assignment order provision.  In most instances, the court will order payments to be withheld from income immediately.  In rare circumstances where the court determines good cause, the order will be conditional.  When this happens, payments will be withheld from income when the condition is met.


CSE can enforce payment of support by:

  • Income assignment
  • Interception of state and federal tax refunds
  • Interception of lottery, casino, and sports betting prizes
  • Suspension of occupational, professional, drivers’, hunting, and fishing licenses
  • Suspension of motor vehicle registration
  • Contempt of court hearings
  • Passport denials

More than 65% of the money collected each year comes through the income assignment process.

If you are unable to make child support payments, please contact us to make sure we have up-to-date information.


The DCFS, Centralized Collection Unit (CCU) collects all payments for child support, medical support, and fees.  The CCU processes payments from Monday through Friday. The amounts are sent out the next day.  To make a payment, please visit the Make a Payment webpage.

Child Support Payments should be made by money order or cashier’s check and mailed to:

Centralized Collection Unit (CCU)
Post Office Box 260222
Baton Rouge, LA 70826

All fees and support payments must be made payable to DCFS. The payment must include the payer’s name, address, and social security number and/or LASES number on the payment instrument.

Receiving Payments

DCFS sends all payments by direct deposit into a checking account, savings account, or Direct Payment Card account.

To check the balance on your Direct Payment Card, please visit or download the U.S. Bank ReliaCard Mobile app for iOS or Android devices. For fees associated with the use of the DCFS debit card, click here. To report a lost, stolen, or damaged Direct Payment Card, contact U.S. Bank Customer Service at 1-855-274-0374.


Annual Fee

Federal law requires CSE to charge an annual $35.00 fee when the state collects $550 during a federal fiscal year.  CSE only charges this fee if the individual has never received FITAP.  The payment will be paid from the first payment after it becomes due. 

Genetic Testing Fees

Genetic Testing fees be listed as "Genetic Test" when they are sent to the CCU at:

Centralized Collection Unit (CCU)
Post Office Box 260222
Baton Rouge, LA 70826

Applications and Application Fees

There is a $25 application fee for applicants who do not receive FITAP, KCSP, or Medicaid. The child support online application, allows applicants to pay the fee when they apply.  Applicants who submit a paper application, must mail the application fee with their application or send it directly to the Child Support Enforcement Offices serving their parish.

View this site in another language: